Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"It's a piece of cake!"

For anyone who's seen the movie "Labyrinth" you will understand what I mean when I tell you I need to quit saying, "It's a piece of cake." I should have learned my lesson after my first chemo therapy treatment, which I felt wasn't nearly as bad as so many people had told me it would be. For the first few days I felt great, but then I ended up lying on my sister's floor, violently throwing up and spending nearly three days in the hospital recovering from nuetropenic fever. Just because something (particularly cancer treatment) starts off easy, doesn't mean it will stay that way.

Given how the first five weeks of radiation went, I thought it was going to cause nothing more than pink skin and fatigue for me, but this last week has proved quite different. Radiation burn gives the initial impression that it's like a sunburn; however, unlike a sunburn, it continues to get worse for quite a while after the area is no longer being radiated. I went from pink to fire-engine red under my arm and along the side of my breast, but figured that since my last week of radiation was not going to cover that area, it would begin to heal. Instead, it went from fire engine red to red-purple, to purplish gray, then it blistered, peeled, and blistered again. Even using the creams and soaks recommended by the doctor, moving my arm still makes me cringe in pain and wearing clothing hurts so bad I've gone around topless nearly 24/7 for the last five days (sorry, that's probably TMI).

The good news - Today was my last day of radiation!!! Now I have a break for a few weeks before I have surgery. Good thing, because I'll probably need that time to heal.

For any woman who might be having to experience radiation to the breast/underarm, I would like to offer one bit of advice: GET ELECTROLYSIS NOW BEFORE YOU HAVE TO GET RADIATION! Either that or go granola and grow out your underarm hair past the bristly stage. Bristly underarm hair is like searing needles against radiation burn; however, shaving is even worse. You can't win - so get laser hair removal while you can.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I hate to say it in some ways, but thanks a million for that entry!!! The sympathy laugh it socked out of me brought tears to my eyes at a point that I really needed. I know that you're going through worse, but Beck, I gotta tell you that laughter still helps! I remember a phone conversation with my Mom along similar lines at a point where I was literally drawing blood to try and shave. Needless to say we could each commiserate with the other's pain a little. At least the radiation is over. That is such a big step. Hang in there, and if there is ever a good time to call let me know; if you want semi-regular calls from our crazy household that is. I miss talking to you!

Thomas Family said...

k- girlie. Time for a new post. I want to see some pictures!

Anonymous said...

Becky! I haven't seen or heard from you in more than 13 years now. I feel strange finding your 'blog now, and reading about what a hard year you've had. I am glad to see that your sense of humor is still intact (sometimes it's all we have). I hope that we can get back in touch. I would love to hear from you!

Katie Sensenbrenner
Cactus Kate Blog